Skip to main content

Chapter 31

This week marks my 31st birthday. 

I have mixed feelings - I feel as though my recovery has been slow and that I haven't felt much improvement, but I have felt more positive than I have in the six months since my last operation - as though I am due and deserve to celebrate. 

As we ease out of lockdown, the options to celebrate are limited, but if I'm honest with myself I don't yet feel ready for the big wide world - aside from my boys, I feel like I have no news or change to report and have felt stuck on pause for weeks upon weeks. I haven't drank alcohol for a long time and wouldn't feel ready to 'party' as such -  I'd like to stay within the cocoon I've built around myself until I'm healed enough to face everyone. 

We plan to spend the next three days as a family of four or seeing immediate family on both sides;  celebrating and creating memories, hopefully with some sunshine (!!) 

I'm looking forward to Covid restrictions easing further, with my next reiki session booked for as soon as next week, along with nail appointments and a trip to Chessington World of Adventures with the boys to enjoy as a family. 

Restrictions lifting just as I am beginning to feel positive feels almost deliberate and the start of a new chapter. Chapter 31. (cringe) 

I'm a huge believer in creating positivity for a positive outcome - Rare Disease UK recently shared my story on their website (which you can read here: Lauren’s Story - Rare Disease UK ) and I'm hoping that will raise awareness for other people, children and parents going through what I have been through - that one day this experience, blog and story won't be about me anymore - but that my words will help someone;  help them through the difficult journey that a rare disease or a major operation is. 

I am also taking part in a naked photoshoot in a couple of weeks (the evidence of which perhaps shouldn't be shared here...) to promote post surgery body positivity and confidence. I'm aware it's incredibly daring; half of the shoot will be outside in a public place (hot water bottles at the ready!) but isn't that what life is about? I haven't been living for so long, feeling as though my wings have been clipped and now is the time to live life to the full. 
Things have been tough and although my darkest days are almost pitch black - I'm feeling more ready than ever to push life's limits. 

So this week not only will I be celebrating my birthday, I'll be celebrating being alive. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery preparation

 As I write this, I have exactly a week until my fifth operation.  With COVID numbers apparently high (according to the media) along with friends and family around me catching it and dropping like flies over Christmas; I have decided to wrap myself up in bubble wrap (not literally) and keep myself protected from the outside world so that I do not jeopardise my opportunity to step into the hospital and have the surgery that will hopefully allow me to be pain free for a year and provide me the closure I need, from what has been a traumatising 30 months.  Christmas was as magical and warm as expected with two excited four year olds - however, incredibly tiring due to said four year olds waking up at 4.30am ready to find out if Father Christmas has been (always 'Father Christmas' never 'Santa' - I'm British after all) and to begin the festivities.  So there we were - managing to delay until 5am, but half asleep putting together every single toy one after the other, like...

Sunday 18th October 2020

Today, I am going out for lunch.  A nice lunch, Sunday lunch, at a decent gastro pub in Hullbridge - not too far away from where we live.  I'm determined to dress up; put on some make up, wear a pair of heels that I bought months ago and never wore; due to a certain global pandemic, do my hair and dress like a millionaire.  A millionaire that only got released from hospital two days beforehand.  I have just had a serious major operation - my second in fifteen months. Due to said global pandemic, I was isolated in my hospital room for ten days. I was released into a new season and new government rules regarding social distancing, safety curfews and laws.  I was released with an impressive set of stitches, a great deal of pain, no coccyx and a new diet.  I was released to great support and overwhelming messages. Talk about a whirlwind of emotions!  I have new found knowledge since my stay in hospital and new found gratitude to the simplest of things - yo...

January

With or without chronic pain, these last few weeks have been tough to say the least. I'm sure anyone in the UK would agree.  With the country plunged into lockdown at the start of 2021, we have wrapped ourselves up into our little bubble - almost hiding from the world and realising that there IS such thing as 'too much news'; especially when everything feels negative and there isn't much good news to hear.  Our weeks have been punctuated with the news of friends catching the virus or of people we know dying from the virus; quietly mourning the ones we have lost and praying for the ones who are sick to pull through, whilst secretly and perhaps selfishly touching wood that we continue to stay safe and that our family members stay protected from such a deadly virus. We have made sure to donate to charities for the vulnerable that are struggling right now such as;  Age UK and Streets of London as we feel so helpless and there is nothing else we can do.  If the news wasn...