Skip to main content

Surgery preparation

 As I write this, I have exactly a week until my fifth operation. 

With COVID numbers apparently high (according to the media) along with friends and family around me catching it and dropping like flies over Christmas; I have decided to wrap myself up in bubble wrap (not literally) and keep myself protected from the outside world so that I do not jeopardise my opportunity to step into the hospital and have the surgery that will hopefully allow me to be pain free for a year and provide me the closure I need, from what has been a traumatising 30 months. 

Christmas was as magical and warm as expected with two excited four year olds - however, incredibly tiring due to said four year olds waking up at 4.30am ready to find out if Father Christmas has been (always 'Father Christmas' never 'Santa' - I'm British after all) and to begin the festivities. 

So there we were - managing to delay until 5am, but half asleep putting together every single toy one after the other, like a conveyor belt at the grotto itself - we bought the boys 5 different Playmobil toys - do you know how many small parts and instructions there are to put them together?! its hard enough when you are bright eyed and bushy tailed, let alone when you're still asleep in your mind and sipping at cold cups of tea for caffeine (too busy building cafe's and police stations to catch a hot cup of tea in time) and stuck together with the many tiny stickers needed to decorate the objects - but the boys jumped for joy at the sight of the gifts and the plate of crumbs, 'gnawed' carrot and empty glass of milk and we forgot the tiredness and instead relished at the room filled with wrapping paper, Christmas lights and joy. 

We went to my parents for Christmas day lunch and invited along my father in law - as we have done in previous years. My brother and his fiancé had unfortunately come down with COVID a  few days before and so there was a gap where they and our baby nephew should be. We made up for it in the evening with a Christmas quiz over zoom, which I wrote and hosted, so that we could all be together albeit virtually, at Christmas. 

We saw in the new year with my parents as well - a quiet evening with board games and a curry. I felt confident to look into the new year with new beginnings and a new chapter but then woke up the next day completely exhausted. My body punishing me for daring to stay up until midnight, for daring to move around more than I do usually and for having a good time. I'm used to a lot of things since my operations but I'll never get used to that - having to pay for it the next day whenever I go anywhere or do anything that isn't resting, for daring to live my life. 

So I spent the first day of 2022 on the sofa, sleeping on and off and in agony with my lower back. Fortunately there were lots of children's movies on TV that day, with it being New Years Day, so I was able to keep the boys entertained (my fantastic husband taking on the lion's share of the childcare once again) and I kept my pain to myself as to not upset them or ruin the fun family days we have had. 

I'm feeling a bit better now, the pain is still bad but I'm feeling more like myself and have been able to have a good few nights sleep and a couple of lie in's (thank you again husband!) so my body is rested with a couple of extra spoons in my pocket (see Spoon Theory). 

With only a few days to go until my surgery, I have been planning what to take to the hospital and what I will need whilst I am recovering. 

For anyone going into surgery or unsure what to pack here is my list; 

- Toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, dry shampoo) you can feel a bit strange after waking up from anaesthetic and may want to freshen up to feel a bit better. 

- Hairbrush.

- A book or magazines - I personally have an Amazon Kindle with a library of books to avoid carrying around anything too heavy.

-Small amount of money, just in case.

- Medication that you usually take including asthma inhalers. It is also useful to know the dose of each medicine as the doctors / nurses will ask for this information. 

- Glasses or contact lenses with the case. 

- Paper and a pen - to write down any questions to wish to ask the consultant and don't want to forget. 

- Snacks - to keep your energy up, if you are allowed to eat and aren't on any strict diets after surgery. 

- A list of important phone numbers (GP/ emergency contacts etc.) 

if you are staying overnight I also recommend; 

- Pyjamas

- Comfortable clothes

- Phone charger 

- Pillow spray (for a bit of luxury and feel more at home) 

- Clean underwear.

- Dressing gown and slippers for when you need to exercise or walk around the hospital.
For recovery; 

- Cosy loungewear/ pyjamas for resting in. 

- Phone number for the hospital you stayed in/ name of the consultant for any emergencies or questions (like the time my stitches dissolved too fast and I was left with a large gaping open wound at the bottom of my back).

- Herbal tea (Peppermint is really good after bowel surgery as it settles your stomach and Camomile is good for calming and just before a good nights sleep) 

- Hand Sanitiser/ Antibacterial soap to prevent infection or spreading of any germs when your immune system is so low. 

- Prepared meals or something that is easy to grab and eat to keep your energy levels up. 

- Prescriptions and lists of medication and doses prescribed after your surgery that you can refer to when talking to your GP or pharmacy. 

- Water - a water bottle is handy so you can fill it up and keep it nearby so you can stay hydrated. This will also help to flush the anaesthesia from your system. 

- Movies, books, Netflix or music - the days are long when you are stuck within four walls - by staying entertained you have less chance of falling into a low mood. 

- Help - family, friends and any kind of support system is useful - someone to help you up, to make you a cup of tea, walk the dog, change your bed sheets  - whatever you need, its good to have an extra pair of hands. 

- Luxury bath / shower products to keep you feeling fresh- I recommend Aromatherapy Associates Deep Relax Bath and Shower Oil; one of my best friends bought this for me for Christmas and I used it all up in a week. So I bought myself the biggest bottle and breathe in the lavender and Ylang Ylang which makes the bathroom smell like a spa and keeps me feeling refreshed and at peace. 

- Treats - you deserve it! If your post surgery diet allows, then make sure your fridge and cupboards are filled with whatever you fancy - sometimes that's just what your body needs and the fat or sugar will help you gain the weight needed after surgery. Everything in moderation of course! 

I'll be spending the rest of this week packing my hospital bag and tying up any loose ends before the big day. I feel nervous now with it being so close but I think it's also because either way, this will be a big day for me. I'll either wake up a couple of weeks after the surgery, pain free and will gain closure on everything that's happened since June 2019 which will feel incredibly emotional or this operation won't work, I won't be pain free and will feel the weight that I am still left in chronic pain. Either way, I'm ready, if I don't give it a go I won't know either way. 

See you on the other side! 



P.s I've moved this blog platform to Medium.com going forward, to raise more awareness;  
What a pain in the a*** – Medium



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second stage in London sunshine

So there we were, on a sunny day in July 2019, standing on London Bridge waiting for my mum to meet the twins and I. She had kindly agreed to entertain them in the hospital waiting room whilst I went along to my appointment with my new consultant, the gynecologist.  At the hospital, my kids and mum firmly plotted in the waiting area (mum loaded with bananas and biscuits - good luck mum) I was waiting next to the room for my appointment.  Remember here, I had a wedding - my OWN wedding, in just over eight weeks away at this point. So in between appointments throughout, I was emailing various people, companies and ticking my wedding 'to do' list off. Whilst emailing, I had accidently scrolled onto a page for sexy 'wedding night' lingere, when my new male consultant, looking over my shoulder, called me in.  It set the mood for the vaginal examination appointment perfectly and I would have usually made a whitty comment about it but it was clear from the first thrity seconds

Sunday 18th October 2020

Today, I am going out for lunch.  A nice lunch, Sunday lunch, at a decent gastro pub in Hullbridge - not too far away from where we live.  I'm determined to dress up; put on some make up, wear a pair of heels that I bought months ago and never wore; due to a certain global pandemic, do my hair and dress like a millionaire.  A millionaire that only got released from hospital two days beforehand.  I have just had a serious major operation - my second in fifteen months. Due to said global pandemic, I was isolated in my hospital room for ten days. I was released into a new season and new government rules regarding social distancing, safety curfews and laws.  I was released with an impressive set of stitches, a great deal of pain, no coccyx and a new diet.  I was released to great support and overwhelming messages. Talk about a whirlwind of emotions!  I have new found knowledge since my stay in hospital and new found gratitude to the simplest of things - you have no idea how much you mi

Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT)

A Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT) is a rare type of tumour known as a teratoma that develops at the base of the coccyx (tailbone).  S acrococcygeal teratoma's are benign 75% of the time, malignant and life threatening 12% of the time and the remainder are considered 'immature teratoma's' that share benign and malignant features.  Benign  sacrococcygeal teratoma's are more likely to develop in younger children who are less than five months old and older children are more likely to develop malignant  sacrococcygeal teratoma's. S acrococcygeal teratoma's are usually found in stages (depending on their relative extent inside or outside the body);  - Type 1 - Are external (outside the body) tumours and are attached to the tailbone.  - Type 2 - Have both internal (inside the body) and external parts.  - Type 3 - Can be seen from the outside but most of the tumour is inside the abdomen.  - Type 4 - The most serious: can't be seen from the outside - they are insid