Skip to main content

Blazing tarts

I had another baking urge the other day. 

The first time I ever cooked for my husband, I made him a steak pie and it is one of those memories that gets bought up at random times; whilst watching TV, when in the car or sitting in the bath ' Boo, do remember that pie?!'  

My husband has called me 'Boo' since the first year we were together - I'm not sure why, but it just stuck. Anyway, as he's had to step up as nurse for the third time running, I thought I'd treat him. 

I made a steak pie filled with big chunks of beef., carrots and delicious herbs. I topped it with buttered pastry and it sunk quite tragically when I took it out of the oven but still, tasted delicious so it was a success! With pastry leftover, I decided to make some jam tarts for the twins - I mixed fresh berries with jam and without a steady hand to cut out pastry shapes to top them, I found a monkey shaped cutter and used that to decorate them. They looked incredibly random but were very tasty - especially warm- and the boys enjoyed one each day when coming home from nursery. After being in bed for the last few days, I felt like a good mum again! I'm no Mary Berry, but watch this space! 

I've been in bed the last few days due to exhaustion mostly - the third operation has seemed to drain my body of it's energy and I have intense nerve pain due to a stitch through the remaining bone where my coccyx was, which causes me to lie awake at night. It's incredibly frustrating. 

On the days that my husband is at work and the boys are at nursery; I'm stuck on the top floor of our house as I am unable to use the stairs without support. I banned a television from our bedroom for the entire time we have lived here, up until now, as being stuck on one floor can get very boring - I'm determined it will only be temporary though! (the television I mean - being stuck on one floor temporarily goes without saying!). My husband also packs me a cool box full of food and cold drinks on the days I am alone and a flask of hot water for my tea - it's incredibly sweet but feels very isolating and I don't even hear the front doorbell anymore as I've ignored it so much. 

My company on those days comes in the form of our cat, Blaze, who is a ragdoll breed and only a year old. There is a reason why they refer to ragdoll's as therapy cats; there are days I can't get out of bed, day's that I cry out of frustration and at the unfairness of going through this all over again (this isn't common - I try not to complain too much) and there are days where I just want some company. Blaze sits in bed with me, on me, beside me and makes his presence known with his extremely loud meow. Even though we bought him before we knew I'd be ill again, I'm so glad we did - we couldn't imagine our family now without him. 

When I am not rambling on here, being a part time mother or baking random treats I am making sure to remember that I take my recovery seriously. The first rule of recovering from a major operation is not to do too much too soon - your body is healing from the inside out - cells and tissue needing to fuse back together. Unfortunately I learnt this the hard way a year ago, when I returned to work after my honeymoon and had one of the most frightening experiences of my life in the middle of a busy train station.. 









Comments

  1. Oooooh both the pie and the jam tarts look delicious! Well done Lauren. Although remember to take your own advice- don't do too much too soon! I bet you can't wait until you're finally recovered and the world finds it's normality again! Sending healing thoughts xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh.....such heartfelt reading Lauren and beautifully written.
    Kind of you to share these personal feelings and thoughts. Keep going Lauren. Good and positive energy winging it’s way to you.🌻 xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Second stage in London sunshine

So there we were, on a sunny day in July 2019, standing on London Bridge waiting for my mum to meet the twins and I. She had kindly agreed to entertain them in the hospital waiting room whilst I went along to my appointment with my new consultant, the gynecologist.  At the hospital, my kids and mum firmly plotted in the waiting area (mum loaded with bananas and biscuits - good luck mum) I was waiting next to the room for my appointment.  Remember here, I had a wedding - my OWN wedding, in just over eight weeks away at this point. So in between appointments throughout, I was emailing various people, companies and ticking my wedding 'to do' list off. Whilst emailing, I had accidently scrolled onto a page for sexy 'wedding night' lingere, when my new male consultant, looking over my shoulder, called me in.  It set the mood for the vaginal examination appointment perfectly and I would have usually made a whitty comment about it but it was clear from the first thrity seconds

Sunday 18th October 2020

Today, I am going out for lunch.  A nice lunch, Sunday lunch, at a decent gastro pub in Hullbridge - not too far away from where we live.  I'm determined to dress up; put on some make up, wear a pair of heels that I bought months ago and never wore; due to a certain global pandemic, do my hair and dress like a millionaire.  A millionaire that only got released from hospital two days beforehand.  I have just had a serious major operation - my second in fifteen months. Due to said global pandemic, I was isolated in my hospital room for ten days. I was released into a new season and new government rules regarding social distancing, safety curfews and laws.  I was released with an impressive set of stitches, a great deal of pain, no coccyx and a new diet.  I was released to great support and overwhelming messages. Talk about a whirlwind of emotions!  I have new found knowledge since my stay in hospital and new found gratitude to the simplest of things - you have no idea how much you mi

Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT)

A Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT) is a rare type of tumour known as a teratoma that develops at the base of the coccyx (tailbone).  S acrococcygeal teratoma's are benign 75% of the time, malignant and life threatening 12% of the time and the remainder are considered 'immature teratoma's' that share benign and malignant features.  Benign  sacrococcygeal teratoma's are more likely to develop in younger children who are less than five months old and older children are more likely to develop malignant  sacrococcygeal teratoma's. S acrococcygeal teratoma's are usually found in stages (depending on their relative extent inside or outside the body);  - Type 1 - Are external (outside the body) tumours and are attached to the tailbone.  - Type 2 - Have both internal (inside the body) and external parts.  - Type 3 - Can be seen from the outside but most of the tumour is inside the abdomen.  - Type 4 - The most serious: can't be seen from the outside - they are insid