Skip to main content

Crumbs, Bakes and Backaches

Today, I woke up - in pain as usual - and whilst I was gobbling my painkillers I remembered I had a dream about eating homemade sausage rolls. 
That was it - I had the urge to make homemade sausage rolls, there was no going back and to top it all off I wanted to make a homemade crumble as well. 

Autumn is my favourite month by far - I love Halloween and I adore the colours on the trees, the sunny yet fresh weather, apples and conkers on the dewy grass and the smell of mixed spice, cinammon and bacon. 
I made a pact with myself back when we moved in to our home and started our family, that I would be that mum who baked and cooked from scratch - especially in autumn when the weather is turning cold - and thats exactly what I became and I rather enjoy it (when I don't have a child hanging from my ankles). 

Unfortunately though, the recent operations over the last fourteen months have taken that away from me for the time being, as my energy levels are incredibly low. 
One minute be fine and having a full blown conversation then I'll eat something or go for a walk and zap! my energy has gone. Like a switch. 
Apparently it is due to my body working really hard to heal and fuse everything back together again. 
But I have found the lack of energy beyond fustrating. 

So, I wanted to make the sausage rolls and crumble - my husband tried to talk me out of it but dammit I said, I'm fustrated, I've lost my independance and I want to make some sodding comfort food for my family! is that ok?!! and he quickly agreed and threw me in the car just to shut me up I presume. 

I made said sausage rolls (with pork meat, apples, nutmeg, thyme and shallots) and the autumn crumble ( with apples, plums and blackberries - I even had some left over so I made another one for my in laws!) and I was back to feeling like a domestic goddess again. 

Then it disappeared - my energy that is; not the food.  I was close to fainting, I was shaking, hot, dizzy and my limbs felt like lead. Just like that, within seconds of just doing a gentle activity, I felt like I was dying.

My husband carried me to bed - I cannot use the stairs right now since my operation three weeks ago - and he tucked me in with a large side order of 'I told you so.' 

But I did it! I actually achieved exactly what I wanted to do when I woke up this morning and I feel proud of that. 
Yes, I'll now be in bed for the next couple of days and yes, I feel very unwell and in alot of pain from overdoing it, but I feel like a good mum again;  my family have treats to look forward to and I feel very very very slightly like myself again for the first time in months.

Plus most importantly, in case you're wondering; they were bloody delicious! 












Comments

  1. Typical mum!!
    I hope you start to give yourself a bit more of a break going forwards in your recovery! Reallt enjoyed the comment "With a side order of, I told you so" from the husband. I can just imagine it now.
    Food looks delicious though! I hppe they were worth it 🙈 xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday 18th October 2020

Today, I am going out for lunch.  A nice lunch, Sunday lunch, at a decent gastro pub in Hullbridge - not too far away from where we live.  I'm determined to dress up; put on some make up, wear a pair of heels that I bought months ago and never wore; due to a certain global pandemic, do my hair and dress like a millionaire.  A millionaire that only got released from hospital two days beforehand.  I have just had a serious major operation - my second in fifteen months. Due to said global pandemic, I was isolated in my hospital room for ten days. I was released into a new season and new government rules regarding social distancing, safety curfews and laws.  I was released with an impressive set of stitches, a great deal of pain, no coccyx and a new diet.  I was released to great support and overwhelming messages. Talk about a whirlwind of emotions!  I have new found knowledge since my stay in hospital and new found gratitude to the simplest of things - you have no idea how much you mi

Second stage in London sunshine

So there we were, on a sunny day in July 2019, standing on London Bridge waiting for my mum to meet the twins and I. She had kindly agreed to entertain them in the hospital waiting room whilst I went along to my appointment with my new consultant, the gynecologist.  At the hospital, my kids and mum firmly plotted in the waiting area (mum loaded with bananas and biscuits - good luck mum) I was waiting next to the room for my appointment.  Remember here, I had a wedding - my OWN wedding, in just over eight weeks away at this point. So in between appointments throughout, I was emailing various people, companies and ticking my wedding 'to do' list off. Whilst emailing, I had accidently scrolled onto a page for sexy 'wedding night' lingere, when my new male consultant, looking over my shoulder, called me in.  It set the mood for the vaginal examination appointment perfectly and I would have usually made a whitty comment about it but it was clear from the first thrity seconds

Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT)

A Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT) is a rare type of tumour known as a teratoma that develops at the base of the coccyx (tailbone).  S acrococcygeal teratoma's are benign 75% of the time, malignant and life threatening 12% of the time and the remainder are considered 'immature teratoma's' that share benign and malignant features.  Benign  sacrococcygeal teratoma's are more likely to develop in younger children who are less than five months old and older children are more likely to develop malignant  sacrococcygeal teratoma's. S acrococcygeal teratoma's are usually found in stages (depending on their relative extent inside or outside the body);  - Type 1 - Are external (outside the body) tumours and are attached to the tailbone.  - Type 2 - Have both internal (inside the body) and external parts.  - Type 3 - Can be seen from the outside but most of the tumour is inside the abdomen.  - Type 4 - The most serious: can't be seen from the outside - they are insid