Skip to main content

Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT)

A Sacrococcygeal Teratoma (SCT) is a rare type of tumour known as a teratoma that develops at the base of the coccyx (tailbone). 

Sacrococcygeal teratoma's are benign 75% of the time, malignant and life threatening 12% of the time and the remainder are considered 'immature teratoma's' that share benign and malignant features. 

Benign sacrococcygeal teratoma's are more likely to develop in younger children who are less than five months old and older children are more likely to develop malignant sacrococcygeal teratoma's.

Sacrococcygeal teratoma's are usually found in stages (depending on their relative extent inside or outside the body); 

- Type 1 - Are external (outside the body) tumours and are attached to the tailbone. 

- Type 2 - Have both internal (inside the body) and external parts. 

- Type 3 - Can be seen from the outside but most of the tumour is inside the abdomen. 

- Type 4 - The most serious: can't be seen from the outside - they are inside the body at tailbone level. 

A sacrococcygeal teratoma only occurs in about one in 35,000 births and is more common in female than male babies. They are exceedingly rare in adults. 
The tumour is usually diagnosed with an ultrasound exam. 

The cause of these tumours is unknown. 

Comments

  1. Crazy to think that so few people have this particular tumour, I am so glad it was finally diagnosed!! Fingers crossed there are no further operations to come, and that you can start to wave goodbye to that sacrococcygeal teratoma!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are special :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surgery preparation

 As I write this, I have exactly a week until my fifth operation.  With COVID numbers apparently high (according to the media) along with friends and family around me catching it and dropping like flies over Christmas; I have decided to wrap myself up in bubble wrap (not literally) and keep myself protected from the outside world so that I do not jeopardise my opportunity to step into the hospital and have the surgery that will hopefully allow me to be pain free for a year and provide me the closure I need, from what has been a traumatising 30 months.  Christmas was as magical and warm as expected with two excited four year olds - however, incredibly tiring due to said four year olds waking up at 4.30am ready to find out if Father Christmas has been (always 'Father Christmas' never 'Santa' - I'm British after all) and to begin the festivities.  So there we were - managing to delay until 5am, but half asleep putting together every single toy one after the other, like...

Sunday 18th October 2020

Today, I am going out for lunch.  A nice lunch, Sunday lunch, at a decent gastro pub in Hullbridge - not too far away from where we live.  I'm determined to dress up; put on some make up, wear a pair of heels that I bought months ago and never wore; due to a certain global pandemic, do my hair and dress like a millionaire.  A millionaire that only got released from hospital two days beforehand.  I have just had a serious major operation - my second in fifteen months. Due to said global pandemic, I was isolated in my hospital room for ten days. I was released into a new season and new government rules regarding social distancing, safety curfews and laws.  I was released with an impressive set of stitches, a great deal of pain, no coccyx and a new diet.  I was released to great support and overwhelming messages. Talk about a whirlwind of emotions!  I have new found knowledge since my stay in hospital and new found gratitude to the simplest of things - yo...

January

With or without chronic pain, these last few weeks have been tough to say the least. I'm sure anyone in the UK would agree.  With the country plunged into lockdown at the start of 2021, we have wrapped ourselves up into our little bubble - almost hiding from the world and realising that there IS such thing as 'too much news'; especially when everything feels negative and there isn't much good news to hear.  Our weeks have been punctuated with the news of friends catching the virus or of people we know dying from the virus; quietly mourning the ones we have lost and praying for the ones who are sick to pull through, whilst secretly and perhaps selfishly touching wood that we continue to stay safe and that our family members stay protected from such a deadly virus. We have made sure to donate to charities for the vulnerable that are struggling right now such as;  Age UK and Streets of London as we feel so helpless and there is nothing else we can do.  If the news wasn...